Monday, August 08, 2005

milestones

This was a weekend of milestines for the youngster. One I have been looking forward to ever since I heard the words "it's a boy", just as much as I looked upon gazinta talk day with trepedation.

Last year we tried grass cutting with very little success. He, like most boys, really wanted to do it (or thought he did). He begged and begged, and finally I thought he was about old enough, and really felt lucky that I had a son who was enthusiastic about yard work, because I most certainly am not. We started at one corner of the yard and I pointed to a tree that separates our yard from our neighbor's and said, "Just look at the tree and walk right toward it." Well, we were all over the place, and one crooked line later, he decided the lawn mower wasn't all it's cracked up to be and I took over to fix the damage. His enthusiasm came to an abrupt halt. Well, Saturday we decided it's time to try again, and instead of starting cold, I made it easier. I did the first few laps, and got the grass up against the house, and around the trees, leaving him huge rectangles. He missed a few spots, so had to retrace some steps, but overall did well, even if he wasn't all that happy about it. He does understand that he's being a big help, and that's easing the pain.

The second huge thing was Saturday night when we went out to eat, he ordered from the big folks menu for the first time, and ate the whole dinner. He's saying he's done it before, but I reminded him that a Big Mac at Ronald's House of Fine Meats doesn't count. This was a place with the option of a kids menu with crayons, and we finally got to forgo that whole thing and choose from the expanded real people menu.

On an unrelated topic, Friday night we went to the Jaguars scrimage at the stadium. Matt Jones is one large person!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home