Thursday, August 11, 2005

prices so low we can't mention them here

I was watching the morning news today while getting ready for work, and this car dealer commercial comes on. In the commercial, I hear "with prices so low we can't mention them here."

Internet sellers do that too. They'll make you click a special place (that usually puts the item in your 'shopping cart') to see their incredibly low price. Then you have to go back and delete it from the cart once you've satisfied your curiosity.

No, this isn't the first time I've wondered about this, but it is the first time I'm blogging about it. The question is, why?

Why can you not mention your low prices here? Is there some federal law against selling stuff cheap? Is the auto maker going to come back and penalize you for selling more of their product because it's cheap? Somehow I doubt that. I have a feeling the auto maker is partially responsible for the promotion you're running in the first place. So why is it you can't mention your low low price without me going out of my way to see it?

Is it because you really can, but you don't want to, because you want me in your showroom? Or maybe is it because you don't want me shopping that price to other dealers so they can beat it? Or, is there really a legit reason why you can't tell me in a TV ad what you can tell me in person?

I'm open to suggestion here. Anyone in the peanut gallery?

1 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

Ok..from the peanut gallery

I believe it's a lure to get you to the business. One of the local dealerships has a sale going on where when you buy 1 car you get another one. At first I thought..wow...2 new cars for the price of one but at the very tail of the commerical, where the announcer rushes through the legal stuff, they tossed in pre-owned. I saw that commerical at least 5 or 6 times, before I caught that part.

It's all about ploys to get the customer in, so that the saleperson can seduce them into a sales contract.

yours truly
Peanut # 6969

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home