Thursday, October 27, 2005

it was a beautiful clear night

Venus was big and bright in the west and Mars in the east with a pretty crescent moon, but where the hell were the stars? They didn't show up, or maybe they did, but they forgot their bats. The Astros get swept in a 1-0 pitchers duel, and the Series is over. I guess it's fitting in a way. If the Astros had an achilles heel this year, it was timely hitting. Just ask the Rocket. Still, it feels like it's over before it got a chance to get revved up.

Tonight the youngster's Mets go up against the advance ball coach's Giants for the second and final time. I know the kids got a confindence buster on Saturday, but I still have the same hopes I had for the last game. Neighbor boy plays great in a losing battle against the Mets, with the game turning on sharp play by the second baseman who also has the game winning RBI. We shall see.

I do know that my ability to get my way still doesn't manifest itself in the lottery. I don't play all that often, but it was up to $40 million last night, and the way things have been going I thought...why not? The better question seems to be, why?

It's Florida/Georgia or Georgia/Florida (depending on your perspective) week in J'ville and the worlds largest outdoor cocktail party is even now in full swing. This is one of the things I never really saw when I lived up north and while it's interesting and fun, I still have trouble really getting into it. The devotion attributed to college football in the south is an amazing thing to watch. The games are good. No doubt about it. I love watching them, but much like the world series, I watch them from a detached point of view. People here look at me incredulously when they ask if I'm a "Gator" or a "Nole" and I say neither. Then they rattle off a few others..."Dawg"? "Cane"? When I explain that I went to Villanova, they look at me like, "and that matters...why?" I'm still supposed to be a die hard supporter of some college team within about a 500 mile radius of my current home, and I'm not quite there. I was watching a UF/FSU game once with supporters of both teams, and one looked at me and said, "John, you have to pick one!" and I said..."No, I really don't." and the look on his face was priceless.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

So why not choose... how long have you been living in Florida now ?

Why not support the locals...?

8:58 AM  
Blogger John said...

I do support the locals...sort of. I like watching all the Florida college teams play, but I don't have any clear cut favorite. When the University of Florida plays Florida State, all I ask for is a good game. I don't come away any happier if one side or the other wins. I guess I grew up thinking that when it comes to school teams, you support the one where you went to school, and none of these apply. Of the two that do, Villanova's team doesn't play Division I football because it's a small school (so especially here, I rarely even know if they played), and the University of North Florida is an even smaller school, without a football team.

Now when we get to the pros, and the Jaguars, that's a different story.

As for how long I've been here...moved to Pensacola, Florida from Norfolk Virginia in 1984, and haven't left the state (for living purposes) since.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home