Thursday, October 20, 2005

let the games begin

I was 2 when the Chicago White Sox last played in a World Series. The Houston Astros never have, until now. Yeah, I'm surprised by the matchup, but I like it. One of my friends is a St. Louis transplant, so he and his family are a bit crushed, so I won't say anything to him, but I do like Houston finally getting to step up to that plate after years of frustration. I like two teams that haven't been there in forever getting their shot. Should be fun to watch.

This weekend our Mets play the team to beat. The team to beat is coached by...I'll call him Mr. Little League. Mr. Little League spends just about every waking hour at those ball fields. His kid is good, but for whatever reason isn't playing advanced ball this fall. (I think Mr. Little League is afraid he was burning the kid out on baseball.) That doesn't stop Mr. Little League from being at every one of their practices and games (even the ones across town) with his notebook. He's also at every game every team in our league plays, writing in his little notebook. I assume he's taking copious notes on every kid who plays. Gets all their strengths and weaknesses. What their hitting tendencies are. Who's weak in the outfield. Who can really pitch, and what do they throw. What catchers can throw someone out at second. That sort of thing. That's what I assume he's doing. I don't know him well enough to ask. If he's not doing that, I can't imagine what he's doing in that notebook. He goes into the draft every year fair and square just like any other coach, but he's armed with his notebook and comes out with the team that is the perennial favorite, and usually results in the league champion. The last two seasons, the youngster has been on teams that came in second place...to Mr. Little League.

I talk to people who say Mr. Little League needs to get a life, and I tell them, no he doesn't. He has one. He doesn't have time for another. It's just that the priorities in his life are drastically different that mine. Once his kids grows out of little league...he might need a trip to the life store, but for now, the one he has is pretty full. It might be a bit hard to watch Saturday, but I remain hopeful.

Speaking of watching, Wilma's churning up the southern gulf and while no track currently brings it anywhere near me, just having it out there makes me nervous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home