Monday, November 28, 2005

life after Leftwich

Starting with the last part of the weekend, Byron goes down and looks like he won't play for the Jaguars for at least a month. All the people clamoring for David Garrard have their wish. Be careful what you ask for, folks. Yes, he's more mobile and that helps in one regard. No he isn't the passer that Leftwich is, and I hope that doesn't hurt us too much. He ran around a bit on Arizona, but now that people game plan for him, I don't think he'll be as effective doing that. It will help though, that he goes into this week at practice knowing he's the guy, and getting the reps that go with that. I'm skeptical, but of course, hopeful.

Played golf Saturday, and that in itself is a generous description of what I did. It gave "ugly" a new meaning. Maybe if I played every now and then I could expect some amount of improvement. I should resign myself to the fact that if I'm going to sacrifice the fall to little league baseball and the youngster, it really does show up as a sacrifice somewhere. Golf is better than anywhere else.

Golf on a more professional level - Fred Funk was great at the Skins Game. For those of you less golf oriented, Fred has a reputation for driving the ball very straight, but not very far. Months ago when talking to Tiger, he mentioned he'd be playing in the Thanksgiving weekend made-for-TV event. Tiger informed him that Annika Sorenstam was playing with them (the fourth being Fred Couples), and if she outdrove him, even once, he'd never hear the end of it. Fred went into it pretty much knowing that she would...at least once...and probably more. He told Annika if she outdrove him, he'd wear a skirt on the hole the first time it happened. On the third hole Saturday, it happened, and Annika pulled a pink floral number out of her bag and handed it to Fred. Being the good sport he is, Fred Funk wore the pink skirt with his pant legs pulled up for the rest of the hole. By the way, Fred also took the most money of the 4 golfers who played the event - $925,000, and prompty gave 20% to a local charity. The man is an all around good guy.

I stuck big toe into the shopping world Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No, I didn't get up in the middle of the night and head for some discount store to be blugeoned reaching for the last ridiculously cheap item heavily advertised to bring in the masses. I did go out and get a few things though and it was relatively painless. If I do a little here and a little there, I should be ready for the birthday party on the 25th. By the way, I did actually do the early morning thing one year. I'll save that bizarre story for later.

That leaves Thanksgiving, which was very nice, if uneventful. I, along with the wife, youngster and a few neighbors, stuffed myself with turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, green beans, pumpkin pie, and more...and in several rounds. It was a great day, that served the purpose of reminding all of us how much we have to be thankful for, with family and friends surrounding us and all pitching in to make it special.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Walker Tribe said...

Man...Leftwich breaks his ankle on the first play of the game? That's rough. Funny though...Garrard runs for almost more yards than Jones. (Or at least looked better than Jones). You see...I thought for sure Jones would go off against AZ. And he kind of did...but I thought he would nail 120 yards and a touchdown. Ughh. (Yes...he's on my fantasy football team.)

11:08 AM  
Blogger John said...

He may have had a chance, but Arizona played 53 in the box (yeah, I think I even saw Kurt Warner blitzing), making sure the run went nowhere and daring Garrard to pass, much to the detriment of the Jaguar run game. Tennessee did it last week, daring Leftwich to pass, and it didn't give them the game, but it did help keep it close. I think Denny Green saw that and was hoping for similar results, then trying to pull it out in the end. It almost worked.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home