Friday, November 18, 2005

Identity Theft

Every now and then, at work, they do presentations at lunch. You can sign up if you're interested. They feed you. Hopefully you learn something. At the very least, you get fed.

Today they had one on identity theft, so I went. I figured hey, if this geek thing doesn't pan out, I'll need another source of income, and stealing identities could be fairly lucrative, or so I've been told. It seemed worth a look, and some free food.

It was worthless, pretty much. I thought I'd get some hacking tips, a couple of identites provided gratis, just to practice on, a few lines to throw at credit card companies when they get nosey about who I really am...that sort of thing. I got none of that. Lots of tips on how to avoid having your stuff stolen, but damn, if I had stuff to steal, why would I want to learn about stealing someone elses?

Seriously though, they did give us a few tips.

1. Own and use a shredder. Bank statements, credit card statements, credit card offers...all that needs to be mechanically ripped into small bits

2. Get your credit report and review it.

3. Look at every line of your credit card statement and make sure you're responsible for the charges.

4. Don't mail your bills in your home mailbox. Take them to the post office.

5. Just say no. When people ask you to verify your social security number over the phone, ask them to use something else to verify who you are, but get in the habit of being stingy with that.

6. Don't carry your social security number in your wallet. If a thief gets that, and your drivers license with your birthdate, you can kiss your ass goodbye.

Those, in and of themselves, will get you a whole lot safer if you aren't doing them now.

Have a great weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Walker Tribe said...

At least you get fed at your company's lunch and learn sessions. We have to brown bag ours. Uggghhh.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home