Monday, November 14, 2005

that's so Raven

Finally, the Jaguars did what they were supposed to do. They took a team they were supposed to beat, and did it, without all the drama of playing down to their level. I'm seeing hopeful signs, but I still have my guard up. Just because you can trash the Ravens, who you were supposed to trash, doesn't make you a great team by any means. We still have lots of growing to do. Matt Jones started looking like a receiver though, and Greg Jones did what they drafted him to do two years ago, filling in for Fred Taylor. So still, I'm cautiously optimistic, and I have no voice on a Monday. Things are back to normal.

Strange coincidence - We've had the same seats since the first game in 1995, but the people around us have varied over the years. This year there's a guy sitting in the row behind us who's pretty loud. That is by no means a bad thing. If anything he makes it easier for me to do the same. He's not obnoxious loud, but he's noticable. I haven't really spoken to him. He sits about 7 or 8 seats down from us. So, after the game, I go home with the youngster, who had a church function to go to. The wife and I discuss food possibilities, and settle on wings and beer at a fairly new place near the house. We sit at a table and start watching the Bucs/Redskins game, which was in the 4th quarter (and had a very cool ending, for someone just watching it for the game's sake and had no specific team to pull for) and I look at the table next to us. There's a woman who's clearly had a few to many, and I recognize her. She was having a few too many at the game...in the row behind us. And there's her husband, who I recognized from his hat, and the fact that he made lots of trips up and down the steps to the concession stands, retrieving the few too many. And at the table with them, is the loud guy, who it turns out is the drunk girl's father. Anyway, over the next hour or so, the drunk girl drinks nothing but water, and has some food, and sobers up a lot. He didn't recognize me at first, but he ordered the hottest wings available. I like 'em spicy, but I stop way short of the labels like "on fire" or "nucular" (that was for you dubya, cuz we know you're an avid lumberyard reader). This guy didn't though, and he was handling them. His son-in-law wanted to try one. He took one bite....and started stomping one of his feet on the floor and looking for relief...water...anything. Then the guy turned to me and asked if I wanted to try one. I declined, but I looked at him and said, "I have to ask, section 123?" He just looked at me, amazed. He asked how I knew. I said, "I'll go that one better, row J?" All three of them are looking at me now. "How do you know that?" After that we started talking , but it was strange...having the people sitting in the row behind you in the stadium just happening to be at the table next to you at a sports bar 3 hours after the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home