Wednesday, November 16, 2005

the little league season winds down

This Thursday is our last game and I'm not all that sad to see it go. Frankly, I could use a break.

The advanced ball stuff seems to be dying a slow hard death. Nothing is very concrete and it makes it hard to plan. Practices are announced a few days before they happen, and usually on the weekend when we have other plans. The youngster missed the last two because we went to the Jaguar games. If I had known about the practices more than two days in advance, I'd have found someone else to go to the game with and sent him on to practice, but with no hard schedule, it gets difficult. This week, I knew we had no game Saturday, so I scheduled one on one time for him with a coach...the guy who played A ball for the Dodgers, and he's very good. Advanced ball stuff is usually Sunday, so I figured I should be good. Last night we get an e-mail. Mr. look-a-me is trying to set up a double header for Saturday. Personally, I think the youngster gets far more out of an hour with the one-on-one guy that he would out of the double header, so I sent Mr. look-a-me a reply, saying sorry...won't be there. He's trying to get the team entered in a tournament in early December..the 9th through the 11th. I think it'd be great for the youngster to get to play in it, but I have a feeling, because he's the alternate, he'd be used sparingly if at all. Still, the wife and I will have to talk about it. She's ready to tell Mr. look-a-me to cram his advanced ball team. Her point is it costs us money for him to play in these games. The tournament thing is somewhere between $30 and $40 per kid, and if he's going to ride the bench (or get in for an inning or two on a coach's guilt trip), he can do that at home a lot cheaper. I'd like to see him get to play, if he's really going to do that. We'll see how much more practice we get or miss, and see what kind of feeling I get for what they'd do with him if we said we'd participate. I'll try to be more flexible about all that, but I won't give up the one-on-one time this Saturday. Maybe we can make the second game of the double header.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home