Monday, December 05, 2005

let the hype begin

David and Goliath weekend is on the way. The currently way overrated Jaguars, with 9 wins and 3 losses, have the unbeaten Indianapolis Colts coming to town. All three of the Jaguar team captains (Donovan Darius on defense, Nick Sorensen on special teams, and Byron Leftwich on offense) are done for the season, with only Byron having any hope of being back if we get to the postseason. David Garrard, backup quarterback, playing his second game in over a year, and it gets to be under the microscope of the national media. As the obnoxious Steeler fan car pool kids told me this morning as I was being equally obnoxious asking them how their team fared yesterday, "Good luck with that."

The thing is, I'm thinking with a little of that good luck and my homer cautious optimism intact, it's not out of the realm of possiblity. The Jaguars stand a decent chance of pulling this game out. People will laugh at me for saying it, but it will hardly be the first time for that. It can happen, folks. You heard it here. I would say you heard it here first, but I doubt there's much competition for the "first" part.

Now for the really fun part of all that. The youngster's only foray into the world of advanced baseball (for now, and the forseeable future) ends in a tournament this weekend. We don't have a schedule or a place yet. All I have been told is we think it's being played at the beach somewhere, and the tournament runs Friday through Sunday. Seeing as how it goes through Sunday, I'm thinking my only observation of the events at Alltel will be via the headphone radio. We'll see how it all shakes out. Yesterday, the coach encouraged him to try out for advanced ball in the spring, but it's just too much of a time commitment. We need to be spending more time in books and less time with a bat and glove. I was a decent sport about it for the fall, but I've had my fill and the youngster can't afford to keep spending entire weekends immersed in baseball. That, and the coach hinted that he might continue coaching advanced ball in the spring, and I don't know if I can handle another season of look-a-me's.

Christmas is coming up way too fast. I'm sure I'm not alone in that perception, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I usually put together a newsletter updating my known world (most of which I keep in touch with once a year, and this is my shot) with our comings and goings. Usually I take great care in making sure it's entertaining, so it's not just me bragging on whatever accomplishments the family may have achieved. Usually I start it before Thanksgiving. Not even a word yet. The tree went up last night but the outside of the house...nada yet. With the tournament thing happening this weekend, who knows when it'll all get there, but somehow I'm sure it will.

Oh and before I forget, in college hoops, some small insignificant university outside Philly romped on #5 Oklahoma. Go Wildcats!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Walker Tribe said...

Man, I wish Greg Jones would find the endzone when he rushes so well. Nice to see Jimmy Smith have a good day.

The Colts will be tough. They are just clicking on every aspect of the team. There defense last Monday night was crazy good. I got to tell you...I am kind of torn...I don't know what I want more...someone to beat them just because or the Colts to win so the 72 Dolphins will lighten up. (Though they deserve to be smug). Should be a good game in any case.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home