Friday, December 02, 2005

the weekend cometh

and with it the dilemma....to baseball or not to baseball in the spring. Here's the issue. As it has been well documented here in the past, the youngster's grades this year leave something to be desired, and I've been holding the threat of no Spring Ball over his head. His report card doesn't get here 'till January, but tomorrow is the day to sign up for spring ball. Sign-ups start then and there are a few times/dates over the next week, but once that ends, you're done. You can sign up late, but then your name goes on a waiting list, and you essentially won't be on a diamond come February. (Yes, folks in points north, I really said February. The tryouts are late January.) We have been working hard, and now his one 'F' from his progress report is a 'C', and the other ugly grades are moving up, so I guess I'm willing to concede Spring Ball. The question of advanced ball is another matter. I think he's getting good enough, but we won't go there in the spring. If he really is good enough, we'll catch All Stars at the end of Spring Ball. That runs into summer...after school's out. That I'll deal with. So tomorrow, bright and early (before the unbearable line forms) I'll be registering for the spring.

The Jaguars head north to Cleveland this weekend, where I think we stand a relatively good chance, despite losing Mr. Leftwich. The Browns, too, are not without difficulties at the quarterback position and it'll give Garrard a chance to get his feet wet, or frozen as the case may be before Peyton and the Colts come to town. Sure I'm a homer, but I'm still thinking we have a shot in that game as well. The big question is if we manage to win Sunday, and push the record to 9 and 3, will Tom Jackson at ESPN finally move us into his little top 10 club, or will we still remain under the radar. As much as I'd like to see a little recognition for the team, it wouldn't bother me if we're ignored for another week...or two. Of course, if we do manage to beat the Colts in a little over a week, the radar would light us up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home