Friday, January 06, 2006

some things change, some never do

Number three with a bullet, the Villanova Wildcats took Rick Pitino and the Louisville Cardinals last night in the second major battle with a ranked team this season. It's been a long time since my little school from Main Line Philly got this much attention. The last thing even close was winning the N.I.T to cheers of "We're #65! We're #65!" (since we weren't in the field of 64 for the NCAA tournament), and before that was pulling out the perfect game in '85 to beat Georgetown in the NCAA Finals. Nice to see some things cycle and change over time. It looks like we're back.

Some things never change though, and I don't know why. I am not a sweater guy. Maybe that's part of the reason I moved south. Who knows. I don't wear them though. They're bulky and itchy and...I just don't like 'em. Sweaters, to me, are never actually worn by men. Sweaters are worn by women, and guys named Chad wrap them around their necks when they drive their BMW convertibles, but even they never actually put their arms in the sleeves. Sweatshirts, sure, but I'm just not into sweaters. Yet, every year...or almost every year, for Christmas, mom-in-law gets me a sweater. This has been going on for 19 years now. That's not entirely true. About 10 years ago, I figured this will never change unless I change it, so I finally asked her...why the sweaters? Nobody ever sees me in one. I don't wear them. I'm not a sweater person. She said, "But you'd look so nice in a sweater, I thought sooner or later you'd change." I told her that wasn't likely to happen, and for the next several years, she came up with different things, but this year, the sweater is back. What is the proper waiting period before a Christmas present goes to Goodwill?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

When you mother in law bought it i think it is for your wife to decide when it can go to goodwill....

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home