Wednesday, January 04, 2006

bowling

The college bowl season is just about done, and I'll say this. It's been interesting if nothing else. I've been surprised, not necessarily by outcomes, but by how tight games have been. Then again, there's LSU pounding...Miami? A smaller school team playing a big name in a bowl game and beating them doesn't surprise me. When Utah beats Georgia Tech in the Poulan Weedeater Pullstart Handle Bowl, Utah is thrilled to be there and wants to come in and kick ass on national TV. Georgia Tech is pissed off, because they aren't playing in a BCS game. Who do you think is coming to play?

I did think Notre Dame would give Ohio State more of a game. I thought those teams were pretty evenly matched. In fact, I expected Notre Dame to win that one in a real battle that would go down to the wire, but it wasn't the first time I was wrong. I doubt it'll be the last. I was hoping for Virginia Tech, if for no other reason than they never seem to play well in Alltel Stadium. They've been to the Gator Bowl on several occasion and always seemed to get the short end of the stick. Then they blew the ACC Championship game against Florida State in the same venue. I thought they should handle Louisville, especially since Louisville's starting quarterback and star player was not going to be there. Still, the game was in Alltel, and it didn't look good for a while. They pulled it out though. West Virginia surprised the hell out of me. I didn't give them much of a chance against Georgia, and while Georgia came back and made it close, I'll admit I didn't give West Virginia enough credit. Last night Florida State surprised me. They surprised me and a whole lot of people when they won the ACC title game that put them in the Orange Bowl. Once there, I thought they'd get their collective butts kicked from Miami all the way back to Tallahassee. I thought Penn State would rout 'em, but they hung in there and made it respectable, or as much as you can command respect when you commit that many penalties.

As for tonight, I expect USC to beat Texas, but I hope they don't. I'm just so tired of the national media kissing Matt Leinart and Pete Carroll's asses, and knighting them as the greatest thing since whatever was the greatest thing before sliced bread. I would like to see Texas hang a huge number on Southern Cal, just to give the talking heads in Bristol something to do besides peek out from between Reggie Bush's cheeks to fit him for the Most Valuable Trojan. I want Vince Young to give them all second Heisman thoughts. Having said that, I don't expect it, but I want it, and I think it's possible. I think both of these teams have blown out too many teams in relatively weak conferences that I don't think anyone truly knows how good either is when they stack up against each other. That might be an unfair crack (damn, what is it about the derriere theme today? I must have butt on the brain), too. After watching the bowl season pretty much play out, the conferences I thought of as stronger (in my parochial little world) didn't make my opinion all that defensible. The ACC didn't exactly light it up while the SEC and Big 10 (or is it 11) were a mixed bag. In any case, tonight oughta be a show, and I'll be pulling for the underdog to make it worth watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home