Tuesday, December 20, 2005

the egg nog latte

There are two ways to get from my house to where I work. Actually, for the most part, there is only one, but for the final third of the trip, you have a choice. You can go the straight line route, which involves more traffic and a school, or you can cut out to A1A and go north up the beach. Longer, but more often than not, quicker. You have to make a choice at the traffic circle. Either you head for the beach or you pass the school. On the beach route, there is a Starbucks. I like the idea of great coffee. I just don't like the idea of great coffee for $5 a cup. I have never been in the Starbucks, until this morning.

I thought, hey, it's the week before Christmas. I'm in a Nat King Cole kinda mood. I deserve a treat. Why not? So I walked into the local Starbucks, and they have a holiday menu. The stars are aligned. They knew I was coming, and why! They have an egg nog latte! Oh how cool! That's just perfect! I could hear a bell ring as Clarence was getting his wings and in the background, Charlie Brown, Linus and Lucy were singing "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing". My Red Ryder BB gun was waiting under a tree.

Not!

Some things are far better in theory than in practice.

It wasn't bad. In fact, it tasted quite a bit like pretty good egg nog, just not at all like coffee. I don't know what I was expecting. All I know is that wasn't it. Maybe it started early this morning, because the youngster asked me last night to wake him up when I got up for work, so he could wrap the wife's present before she got up (yes, now you can know why he was up so early), so we did that before I left. Maybe I was just so much into the whole Christmas spirit and the feel good thing, that I walked in there expecting something almost magical, and no matter what, the cup of egg nog latte wasn't going to measure up. That, or it was really hot egg nog (sans rum) that someone waived a coffee bean over.

1 Comments:

Blogger beatdad said...

See, ya gotta ask for the double nog Latte, or else it will just taste like hot egg nog. I used to drink mocha latte's all the time; I started putting two shots in because the latte was too sweet. This was before I started drinking French roast without milk.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home