Monday, March 13, 2006

You're my...my density

Villanova's a #1 seed! Woooo Hooooo!

OK, what does that mean, exactly. Squat, besides the fact that I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying it's the first time that ever happened. It means the country expects us to kick ass in the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Doesn't mean we've done anything, yet. Destiny is a fickle thing and just because you're a favorite doesn't mean it'll take you anywhere. The unorthodox four guard lineup of Villanova has pros and cons going into the tourney. People who haven't played against it before are at a disadvantage. Teams in the Big East have seen it before and will find ways to counter it, and all it takes is one cold night of shooting (see Friday night's game, eye injury aside) and we're gone. Call me very cautiously optimistic. I know, I say that a lot, about a lot of things. I have good reason here though. This is uncharted territory for the Wildcats. Nobody's stuck us on this kind of pedestal before we did anything before. It's not that I don't think my boys can do it. I think they can. I just hope they don't get some kind of acrophopia, or get all full of themselves before the first tip off even comes 'round.

The youngster is getting discouraged, and I'm finding myself in the strange position of agreeing with him, but trying to keep him upbeat. He played the whole game Saturday (which is one step in the right direction) but all of it in right field. He played well, but is watching errors in front of him and getting upset. I understand his plight. He has worked hard to be a good second baseman, and knows the position, and he's playing it in practice. Come game time, someone else is there who doesn't know what to do. If they're going to play someone else there, the least they could do is let them practice there so they can learn the position. I don't get it, and neither does the youngster. On the good side, his team won, but the kid is still not very happy. I refuse to be one of those dads that's in the coach's ear about my son this, and my son that. (I have a blog for that, and you're reading it.) I told the youngster, you need to ask him if you can play second in a game. Let him know you want it. Maybe he thinks you're content out in right. We'll see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

I thought about you Saturday, when I was driving north on I-95 going to Al's house. Three SUV's from Florida drove past me, all had Go Villanova written in white on the windows! Was that your handiwork?

:D

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home