Friday, May 19, 2006

another little league season in the books

I won't go off about the coaching this season. Those guys did the best they knew how, I suppose, and they were there doing it, which is more than I can say for me. I wish I had the knowledge and time to do all that, but I don't, so I need to let the guys who do, do what they can. Our last season of what is really "little league" ended last night in a flurry of pizza, trophies and mixed emotions.

I just feel like we wasted a season. The youngster learned next to nothing, except where to be to back up someone elses mistakes, which in itself is valuable and will make him a better team player. His love is second base though, and he spent some time there in one game...one, and it was the only one I couldn't get to to watch him play. Frustrating for him, and frustrating for me because it was frustrating for him.

Still, he had more fun than if he didn't play at all, and I suppose that's what matters. He still wants to spend most evenings in the front yard playing catch with me, and I suppose I should be really thankful for that. These days are making memories we're both going to cherish for a lot of years when they don't happen all that often.

If he still wants to play in the fall, he'll be moving up....to a real sized field, and playing against kids a bit older than him...13 to 15 year olds. I watched a game last fall, and saw goatees on that field...goatees on six foot tall kids who looked like they drove themselves there. It'll be interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tillerman said...

You are right - be thankful he still wants to play catch with you. The teenage years are coming when your IQ will take a precipitate fall -- only to recover when he's in his 20s.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home