Thursday, May 11, 2006

Movin' in on Byron

I have mentioned before that I'm not happy with The Players Championship move to May. In fact, it was one of my first ever entries in this blog last year. I can see all the reasons it makes sense, and yeah...on lots of levels it does. The PGA Tour wants this tournament out from under a bunch of shadows, like the one cast by March Madness, and the one cast by the Masters.

Still, on the selfish side, I don't want the tournament held in May. It's hot here in May, and while that will lead to more eye candy in spaghetti staps and short shorts or skirts, it will also lead to more idiots in a dehydrated drunken, not to mention sunburned, haze (and I hate when I burn like that). The first aid stations are going to see more action than they have in the last ten years combined. Besides that, I'll be out there all day, watching the tournament and dealing with the heat. Yes, I'll still go, and I probably won't complain too much, but I would be far more comfortable sitting out there in March. I guess that's not that big an issue to those making the decisions.

The other issue is...this is the weekend it will be played next year. This is the weekend currently occupied by the Byron Nelson Championship. I don't know what that means for Byron and his tournament next year...which way it slides or where it goes, but it's been this weekend in May for as long as I've watched golf. I can't think those people are all that pleased with the prospect of being shoved to another weekend because the Tour wants to move the Players into their spot. Maybe they just slide back or forward one week, which wouldn't be so bad. Maybe they plop the Players Championship right between Byron Nelson and the Colonial, which becomes a travel nightmare for the players but gives the Dallas area a one week break between tournaments. Who knows? Again, they didn't ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home