Tuesday, May 02, 2006

big mug o' draft

OK, maybe not that big a mug, but a few tentative reflections...

Marcedes Lewis, tight end, UCLA

OK, I know this is what the experts said we'd do, but I think it's the first time even they have been right. I was definitely wrong, and maybe there are good reasons for that. Maybe there wasn't a linebacker or offensive lineman worthy of the 28th (or 60th) pick in the draft, but I think we needed those far more than another tight end or little guy running back. I don't think the Jaguars offense, such as I've seen it since the last coaching change, has made effective use of a tight end in the passing game. The tight end usually stays in and blocks to keep Leftwich off his back. Now there could be two reasons for that. I'm assuming it's because the line wasn't effective enough to do it without tight end help. Maybe it was because the coaching staff didn't think our tight ends made very good receivers and felt, "Well, if they can't catch the ball, they might as well block." The only problem with that rationale is, you would think if they were being extra blockers, Byron would stay on his feet more. He got hit on more than 'babe a day' to the right over there in a singles bar. Either way, balls haven't been thrown to tight ends in a Jaguars offense with any regularity since the Del Rio era began, so why draft someone who specializes in that arena? I guess we'll see.

The second round pick made some sense if you're thinking Fred Taylor replacement, but he's a small fast running back. We drafted one of those last year. His name is Alvin Pearman and he was doing pretty damn good, but he's no replacement for Fred Taylor either. He is good enough that I didn't think we needed a Pearman clone, but now, we have one.

Finally, round three...a linebacker. Something I think we need, and hopefully he rises to the occasion...and fast.

All that said, I freely admit I know how well these guys will pan out as much as anybody, and that's zip, zilch, nada. Only time will tell.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home