Friday, April 21, 2006

hey jealousy, part two

A few days ago I blogged about getting a really cool plaque from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for work I did on software that won an emmy. Yes, for those of you who keep asking me...a real emmy, angel looking thing holding up a globe emmy, like the kind they show actors getting on the Emmy Awards Show emmy. I didn't realize there was another kind, but people honestly ask. Maybe it's more a disbelief that I could be involved in anything that cool, and I can understand that. At the time I thought this was an awesome thing (the plaque, that is). Now I'm not so sure. I mean, it was nice and all, but it seems not everyone who worked on the project got them. Somebody up the food chain decided who was supposed to get them and left some people out. Granted, their roles were pretty minor, but still...we got something and they didn't, and it's causing issues. The issues are getting big enough that I'm thinking, it's really not worth all this.

Before we got these things, everything was fine. We all knew we worked on this thing and it won an emmy and we went about our business. Then this thing came along. I said, "Thank you." I took it home, and honestly haven't done anything with it yet except show it to the wife and youngster. It has since grown into a monster, creating haves and have-nots. The haves don't really care that much, because we got the thing, even if we didn't ask for it. The have-nots are pissed, big time. They're spending more of their day looking for evidence of their contribution to the project in an attempt to recify the situation than they are doing their actual job. They're rummaging through two year old e-mails for chrissakes. I can see their point...to a point. If I was in their shoes, I'd probably have a different slant on it all, but after a day of being disappointed, I'd probably let it go and move on. It's not helping that these are the same people who weren't happy when we won the thing, because we all didn't get to fly to New York to accept the award. They're also the people who look for anything to whine about, and this has given them more ammunition than they've ever dreamed of. Right now I'd like to take my name off the thing, put someone elses on and hand it to them and say, "Please take it, and be happy...and shut up about the whole thing." I'm tired of hearing about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home