Tuesday, April 25, 2006

an 'A' for effort, but what were ya' thinkin'?

The youngster had baseball practice last night. Again we had the normal drill. He gets to play second base in practice, so he was there. An hour and a half into the practice, there were three errors on the same play, and the kids committing the errors weren't particularly upset about it. In fact, they were laughing. No, the youngster wasn't one of them, but yeah, he could have been. They were all getting a bit tired, or whatever.

The coach got a bit upset and pulled everyone in to the mound. Somewhere in that short run, the youngster twisted his ankle. The coach then gave everyone a little speech about focus and effort that ended with something to the effect of, "If you're not here to play, head to the dugout, pack up your stuff and go on home, because I don't need you out here."

I was talking to one of the other parents and not really watching the whole thing. I knew he pulled them in to talk to them and assumed it had something to do with effort after the preceeding play, but wasn't watching closely. The next thing I know I'm watching the youngster charging a slow roller to second..and sorta limp/running his way there and making the play, but looking really awkward. Then I watched him limp back to his position. So I yelled to the coach that I thought he was hurt. The one coach, whose son usually plays second told him to walk it off. The other went out and talked to him and I went to the fence. He limped off the field with the coach's help and I took him home.

So I asked him..."Why, bud? Why did you wait for me to say something? When did you hurt it?" He told me he did it when he ran in to the mound, but after that "If your not here to play, pack up your stuff and go home" speech, he didn't want to say anything and tried to play on it. I can understand where he was coming from, and applaud the effort, but no...when you're really hurt, you need to get off that ankle before you do some real damage. We talked about it some and iced it when we got home. He was still limping this morning, but he's hanging in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home