Monday, April 24, 2006

the lumberyard golf update

I actually played golf this weekend (yesterday)...third time this year. The guy I'm playing in the tournament with this week, and I, went out and played 18 holes to warm up. I started horrible, but by the end of the round I was playing OK. We have a practice round on Thursday and the actual tournament starts Friday. Hopefully I re-learned enough so the practice round will be enough to get me ready.

I relearned a lot though, and it wasn't just about golf (kinda like those Wachovia commercials...what can a round of golf teach us about...life)...primarily focus on the task at hand. Hitting a great drive means nothing if you go to hit the next shot and lose your concentration because you're busy patting yourself on the back. Can't rest on your laurels....gotta move on. Don't look for results before you have anything to look at. Stay focused on what you have to do. Let someone else tell you how good it looks...if it actually does. You just make sure you're getting done what you have to do. These aren't new lessons. I've learned them many times before, and like I said...not just with golf. Yesterday was just a good, if sometimes painful, reminder.

Stuart Appleby won in Houston! Appleby has been someone I pull for, probably for a lot of reasons he wouldn't want. I doubt the guy wants pity. I don't know that pity is the right word for it though, either. The guy lost his entire family...wife and kids...in an accident several years ago. Of course, it devastated him and golf wasn't exactly the highest priority going for him at the time, but he eventually came back. Ever since then I wanted to see him be successful. I wanted good things to happen for the guy after life pretty much kicked him in the face, and yesterday, one of those good things happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home