Friday, May 05, 2006

the lumberyard credit score

I keep seeing these places on the web to get my "free" credit score. First of all, I don't know why it's so important for me to know my credit score. I just need to know I'm paying my bills and, as long as nobody's got my identity, credit will take care of itself. The actual credit score is an irrelevant number that some marketers are trying to convince us all is a vital piece of information we can't live without.

None of those places that offer you your credit score are actually "free" though. They require you to subscribe to some service or stand on your head, or do something you wouldn't be inclined to do unless someone was enticing you with a "free" credit score.

So, as a public service, I present the lumberyard method of determining your credit score. If you get a shitload of junk mail and most of it is people offering you credit cards with low interest rates for the first 10 minutes, before they jack them up, you have a very good credit score. From there the scale just works downward. The less of this junk mail you receive, the worse your credit score. If you get no such junk mail, it's time to worry.

It's that simple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home