Monday, June 19, 2006

the U.S.Open

Damn what a tournament! Davey Duval, hometown hero, who I had given up for dead, actually shows up, tied for 16th. Tiger, my favorite golfer, misses the cut in a major for the first time since....well damn, it may have been the first time since he turned pro. Ya gotta give the guy a break though...first tournament since comming back to work since his dad died. I know he's still pissed, but hey...don't beat yourself up too much Tigger. That's my job and even I'm laying off for now. Then there's the finish, which had to be one of the strangest in a while. Geoff Ogilvie wins...because Phil and Monte played dumb and choker respectively. Phil had it in his hip pocket and just played stupid, going for it when he had no good reason to and paying for the gamble. Monte, who actually was a bit mellower this trip across the pond..turned into someone I could actually pull for and yet...he let his nerves get to him and blew it when he had the tournament in his grasp. It was an interesting tournament on a course set up like I'd never attempt to play, with all the drama, twists and fun a major ought to have.

Yes, the U.S. Open lived up to what it ought to be. I wonder if game 7 of soccer on ice will be able to say the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home