Tuesday, June 13, 2006

new, improved and what?

I do the grocery shopping in our house. Between me and the wife, I seem to be better at picking stuff at the meat and produce departments and, it means I get the snack material I'd rather have. Food is far more my department than hers.

Since I get to do this, I notice things, two of which only make me shake my head. There's a seafood section and next to it is the sushi guy. He isn't always a he. Sometimes he's a she, but he or she is always Asian. I guess they're Japanese, but I don't know for sure. He or she always greets me with broken english (which I secretly think is an act) and a smile and sometimes I buy some...to eat that day for lunch. Lately I've noticed the packaging for the sushi says "New and Improved." Can someone help me with that concept? It's raw fish. How do you improve that? How do you make it newer? Now, even raw-er? I mean, it's raw. It had better be pretty new, because raw and old..lets not even go there. The veggies wrapped up with it...same deal. They're already fresh and you don't do anything to them. How do you improve on that? If they're newer, what does that say about what you used to sell me? Something about that doesn't sit right.

Then there's the pre-made salad stuff and one bag is called "Very Veggie." What does that say about the other bags? Not very Veggie? What do they have in them that isn't veggie, or less veggie than this bag? I mean, this bag has more other veggies besides lettuce, but since when is lettuce not a veggie? Did I miss the lettuce memo?

Just a few musings from the produce section of the lumberyard....

1 Comments:

Blogger S.S. said...

Probably the New & Improved was referring to the packaging, not the fish.
Couldn't come up with anything re the Very Veggie, though :-)

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home