Monday, June 05, 2006

not so Larry

I was first introduced to Larry the Cable Guy on the radio, several years ago. I listened to an alternative rock station in the morning and just about as I was pulling in to work, Larry the Cable Guy came on and did an almost-daily commentary on something. He wasn't all that regular. He'd be there one day, skip a day or two and be back for a few days in a row. you never knew for sure that he'd show up and the topics were all over the map, but usually from a conservative slant. He was hilarious. I'd look forward to my 5 minutes of Larry getting into work.

Then the radio changed their morning show format to some guy named Bubba the Love Sponge, to compete with Lex and Terry, by out grossing, out shocking and out crude-ing them (not an easy bill to fill). After 5 minutes of Bubba, I knew that wasn't for me. I went to sports talk.

Every now and then I'd hear about ol' Larry. Mom-in-law bought me his book, which I almost finished in the emergency room a while back. It was...OK, but it wasn't up to his old commentary standards. I knew he was on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour with Jeff Foxworthy, but I had never seen it...until last night. I watched, because we channel surfed to it and since it was on, I wanted to satisfy my curiosity. I hadn't seen ol' Larry do stand-up, and I wanted to see what it was like. Talk about disappointing. I'm sorry, but the big guy just doesn't have what he had in the gool ol' days. I could have finished The DaVinci Code, but instead, I sat through three other comics, two of whom I'll admit were actually funny, before getting to Larry's meltdown. Obviously, my opinion wasn't in the majority (something I'm used to). The audience on TV was loving him, but it sure looked to me like a guy resting on his laurels, and relying on unimaginitive remnants of what he used to be. It was just.....sad, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home