Wednesday, May 31, 2006

lyin', racin' and other country song subjects

Tony Stewart is maybe going to run in the next NASCAR race...with a broken shoulder. OK, so let's just throw another little bit of suport behind the lumberyard argument that racing isn't a sport. In fact, let's throw a broken shoulder behind it. I mean, in what other sport can you go into a competition with a broken shoulder? Hell, I think I can even throw golf, curling, bowling and badminton out there in this argument, in that they all require two functioning shoulders. I guess when all you've really done is transform turning left in a high speed billboard into a competitive activity, a broken shoulder isn't that big a deal.

The last few days...since school let out, the youngster's sleeping habits changed drastically. All of a sudden this week, he's sleeping till 11:00. This is a kid who's usually up at the crack of dawn. We limit his time playing with his computer because he'll waste a day on there if left on his own. He needs to get out and do things. So the wife and I discussed it, and she asked...do you think he's sneaking up in the middle of the night and playing games? I thought...no, the youngster wouldn't do that...would he? We asked him, "What's the deal with sleeping in so late?"

"A growing boy needs his sleep." he said with a grin.

OK, that answer was a little too pat...maybe rehearsed even. So last night I woke up around 4:00, and went back to his room. He's all snuggly in his bed, and I'm thinking...who knows. Then we got up this morning and the first thing the wife says is, "Mystery solved!"

Apparently I wasn't the only one checking on him last night, and she was more successful. He was on the computer at some time in the middle of the night. She didn't look at the clock, so she doesn't know when. She just told him to turn it off and go back to bed. I have a feeling he isn't alone in this. I will be talking to other parents in our neighborhood. In the meantime, I have the power cord from the back of his computer with me...and will for a while.

The title says there will be other country song subjects here...just more lyin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home