Friday, May 19, 2006

contrived controversy

Sometimes I just have to smile.

The movie, The Da Vinci Code has hit the streets, and the media is just itchin' for a fight. You can almost see them salivating, with visions of the religious right railing against Hollywood, and the stories to be written. The only problem is...nobody seems to be railing. The J'ville paper had a story on the front page with a big ol' headline that suggests the clergy is split on whether to say it's "Heresy or Just a Movie". The thing is, when you read the article, there's not a single clergy person suggesting it's heresy. It's just the reporter who's doing that and trying to create a tempest in a teapot that holds nothing but a bit of...well...tea. I'd post a link, but you can't get to it online without registering. It's like they have their verbal cattle prods out, goading people into religious combat, and yet, nobody's biting.

I can't say I've read the book...yet...or seen the movie. I will probably eventually read the book, but I'm not expecting anything more than a great story, and I think that's the case with most people. The media is looking for ministers and priests worried that their congregational faith will be shaken, but damn folks...it's just a story.

The newspaper story is pretty much interviews that are trying to say (but not quite this obviously)...

"Well, whadaya think Father?"

"Not much...cool story though."

"Oh c'mon Father, grit your teeth for the camera and look pissed off. Tell me how the film is an abomination."

"Nah, I actually liked the book. I'm looking forward to seeing Tom Hanks."

"Damn, getting nowhere here...How about you, Reverend?"

"I just got off Expedia.com, booking the Paris leg of the Da Vinci Tour..oughta be fun."

"Aren't you worried people will see this thing and leave the church in droves?"

"Nah, I think they're smarter than that."

"What's wrong with you people....why aren't you all pissed off?"

Yeah, sometimes I just have to smile. Maybe somewhere someone really is overreacting to this thing. I haven't seen it though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

On yesterday's front page of the Fayetteville paper was a huge article about the Da Vinci Code. Local religious leaders were giving their take on it...telling people to remember that it's fiction, etc.

So while I was at the wonderful world of Walmart I decided to get a copy of the book and join the ranks of those who have read it... as for the movie...I'll wait until it's out on DVD.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

i somewhat believe that it could be true. if so, what's the prob in it. he was a man after all and it was customary for them to marry in the day, but... it wasn't uncustomary to "not" discuss it.

i think it's a fascinating tale... altho i've heard it before.

as far as the priests and such.. wouldn't it be "wiser" to NOT make a big deal of this??

11:19 AM  
Blogger S.S. said...

I've read the book. And although I found the book as an excellent read (I even bought the illustrated copy), I think people who believe that it could be real should really get real.

About the movie, I'm all in with Sherrie. I'll wait till it goes on DVD. Unless when Mal comes down for a visit to Alice and we have nothing to do (prob during our bedroom break) and nothing better to watch, we might watch this movie on cinema. If nothing else, to see Tom Hanks' performance.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

i think that to "not" believe that this possibility exists doesn't make since. there is a lot of evidence pointing towards it being for real... because Jesus was human and a man after all.

i've heard negative things about the movie and it's gotten bad reviews... and even Hanks didn't give a good performance - i've heard - but i haven't seen it.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home