Friday, May 26, 2006

the thought of the day, and other musings

If you look at the thought of the day (yes, there is something written beneath the babe over there on the right), you'll see a geek test. I'm almost embarassed to say I passed, well within 5 seconds. Is that a bad thing? If anyone doesn't get it and really wants to, let me know.

Played work golf last night, and pretty much sucked. If I could be at all consistent I could be dangerous. The highlight of my evening was two drives...probably the longest straightest things I've hit in my life. I was all proud of myself, until I hit the second shot. Oh, well, maybe one day I'll pull it all together, but in the meantime, as long as I don't take myself or the game too seriously, I'll have a good time with it.

The Onion seems to have marked the event of Barry Bonds matching Babe Ruth's career home run record, as only the Onion can.

There's a commerical on the radio now. It plays a lot on my way to and from work. It's for a bank and they say one out of five Americans have been hit by identity theft. I know you can do a lot of things with numbers, especially if you're a bank and have tons of accountants in your employ, but...one out of five?? Has anybody checked that figure. I know it's a growing issue, and I know we're trying to be careful with it, but I don't think a whole 20% of the American public has had their identity stolen, and that's what the commerical says. They have to be assuming everyone whose name was on some disk that got stolen instantly became a victim or something. That figure just seems an eeensy weesny bit inflated, but I guess as usual, I could be wrong. I look around me and I know a lot of people. I only know one, thankfully only one, that has been smacked with this crime, and he caught it pretty quick. Where are these numbers coming from?

2 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

I DON'T get the geek test question (I read it three times), but I did get sorta hit with identity theft. At least my bank thought I was at risk and immediately shut down my card and issued me a new one. So maybe they are counting our "being at real potential risk" in their 20%.

9:29 AM  
Blogger John said...

The geek test...an infamous excuse programming geeks use when their software doesn't work as intended, especially if it does something totally unexpected, and someone confronts them about it, "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" So, if you see a Volkswagen BUG going down the highway with the license plate, 'FEATURE'...are we making sense now?

Sorry Jessie, for better probably more than worse, you're not a geek.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home