Monday, May 22, 2006

Barbaro, Bernardini and Barbarino

The Preakness...was a hard race to watch. I'm not a big horse racing fan, and I'm sure the fact that I'm not a big gambler plays a part in that, but I usually watch the triple crown races, out of curiosity more than anything. We went to a Kentucy Derby party and watched the first leg there, with Barbaro running away with it. The Preakness, we watched at home. I was grilling dinner, or getting ready to (putting the charcoal and lighter fluid mixture together), when the race was run. I listened to the commentator talking about how Bernardini was getting no respect, to the point where they spelled the horse's name wrong on his stable spot (whatever they call it), and all eyes were on Barbaro. During the race, the announcer talked about Barbaro pulling up, but you didn't really see it with the cameras still on the race. You saw it afterward, in replay after painful replay. That was the hard part to watch. After two takes of that, and wincing with each one, I had to get back to the grill. I learned more about horses and broken legs and blood supplies in the last few days than I ever knew before, and I hope things go well at the vet.

Lonely Hearts, the new John Travolta/James Gandolfini movie, premiered in J'ville this weekend. Vinnie Barbarino, Tony Soprano and friends were in town and it was all over the news. The slightly biased crowd (the movie was filmed in J'ville) loved it. I'll wait till the fall opening, or maybe DVD. Yeah, it is pretty cool that the movie was filmed here though. For you trivia buffs, so was Creature from the Black Lagoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home