Tuesday, May 23, 2006

style, substance and towels

The wife bought new towels recently. She was re-doing the colors in our bathroom for the bazillionth time and new towels were part of the program.

I went to take a shower and while I was drying off, she asked, "What do you think of the new towels?"

"Well, they're blue."

"Yes, but aren't they nice and soft."

"Well, yeah."

"I like them."

OK, so the wife likes them. They're blue, nice and soft. They feel great. They only have one problem. They aren't very absorbent. When I finish drying off with one of these towels, it's wet, but so am I, and no amount of rubbing my skin in its nice, soft, fluffy blue-ness makes it any better. Therefore, I'm hanging out a bit (yeah, literally, as well) to air dry, if you will, before putting on clothes. This is all because our nice new towels look nice, feel nice, but don't perform the function for which they were created. I'm hoping in time, with repeated washings, whatever is on the surface of these "towels" that seems to repel water wears out and makes them a bit more useful.

This is a humorous story, and it's even true. I'm about ready to ditch the towels. Some people are like that. They know how to look good and they say all the right things to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling, but where the rubber meets the road, they're worthless. It also mirrors my view of a certain political party, so when I get around to ranting about them one day, this post might be linked in reference.

2 Comments:

Blogger S.S. said...

Keep on dreaming, John. Those towels wouldn't get better after numerous washes. I've had one of them before. If you are lucky, after a month you'll only need to hang out a min faster.

Ended up using them for foot-mat in the bathroom.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

i have towels like these... i hate them. they look pretty but that's about it. so i can understand the wife buying them.

i have found some of the best towels at Target. matter of fact, i still have a bunch from there and have had them for years.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home