Wednesday, July 12, 2006

parents without adult supervision

My high school has an alumni paper that goes out to everyone and their mother...or at least everyone who graduated from there and their mothers. It includes a section where they have little blurbs about people who did things...like got married, or promoted, or had kids, or whatever. I was going to send something in that said I started this blog, but noody seemed to think that much of an achievement, so I blew that off.

Anyway, a while back dad asked for a picture of my little plaque for the emmy thing, so I sent it. He proceeded to e-mail it to God and everybody, which shoud be of no surprise. I'm sure many of you were on the mailing list, or got it when God forwarded it. One of the recipients was the nun who runs the alumni paper at my alma mater. (Yes, we had nuns, and they still do at the school, which explains a certain kinky fantasy, but let's not go there.) Therefore I made the latest version of the alumni paper. Of course, nobody made an attempt to contact me and get some kind of accurate version of what happened. They had the picture of a plaque and went for it.

The resulting write up went something like, "John of the Lumberyard, class of '75, all by his lonesome, was awarded the emmy for geek-hood by the National Academy of Television Arts." There was more, but that's the gist. It wasn't just inaccurate. It was embarassingly inaccurate. I quit reading when it said something about the peace deal I was brokering in Gaza.

That was the backdrop as I went to my parents' 50th anniversary. Of course, most of my relatives went to the same school, and read all about it. I got all kinds of congratulations and pats on the back and questions about what it was I got this emmy for, and all the while I found myself saying, "It wasn't just me. It was a bunch of us." and getting back, "Oh, he's so modest...blah, blah, blah" Relatives I haven't seen in decades (whose names I was trying to pull from memory as I noticed none of them looked like they did 15 years ago) that annoyingly pinched my cheeks when I was 3 were wanting to know all about it.

So this is what happens when parents are left unchecked and unsupervised. Rest assured I'll be more careful in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home