Thursday, September 21, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Listening to sports tralk on the way to work this morning, one guy called in and complained about HBO's Inside the NFL show that aired (or is it erred) last night. Apparently the Jaguars huge Monday night win got next to no mention, except a debate over whether or not Roethlisberger should have played, and everybody's pickin' Indy this week. He went off on Chris Carter and Dan Marino and...

OK, so?

Just cuz I love 'em doesn't mean everyone has to. As for Dan Marino, give the man a break. He's going to have a hard time starting a love fest for the team that sent him out on his ass at the end of his illustrious career in a 62-7 playoff loss, especially with his ego. The guy is only human.

I used to think like this caller guy, but over the years, I've either tempered myself, or been tempered, I'm not sure which. The Jaguars have this nasty habit of showing up huge one week and while we're busy patting ourselves on the back, next Sunday comes and goes and we're losing to the Texans, or somebody equally inept. (No disrespect intended Houston, but your team's in sad shape and not getting better very quick. I guess Casserley passes on the no brainer Reggie Bush pick by saying...what..."but, we have brains?" Still, they manage to beat the Jaguars all too often.) When we come to play, we're damn hard to beat but that doesn't always happen...or historically hasn't. I can't fault anybody for saying, "Just wait." I can even see, if we manage to upset Indianapolis, everybody picking Washington to beat us. The rationale would be, "They've been up for three straight weeks. The sugar rush has to end and they're crashing hard...Washington by a touchdown."

The Jaguars have yet to prove they can do what they started this year consistently. When they do that, the respect will come. Only one way to do that...win the games. Even then, everyone doesn't have to like them.

I will say I've started sippin' the kool aid. I know, I know. They've made a believer out of me way too easily and way too often in the past, only to drown my hopes in the Saint Johns River. Still, I'm starting to believe again. The boys have made me feel a lot better about our chances. I think we can take Indy in Indy this week. I think it can happen. It might not be probable, but it can happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home