Wednesday, September 20, 2006

a day with the youngster

I'm not complaining too much. I know, from talking to other parents, that we are not alone. Situations like this happen all the time for everyone, but for those of you without kids....this is how it goes all too often.

Today is picture day. The youngster is in 8th grade and when he finishes 8th grade (hopefully this year), he will move on from his current school and go off to high school. This means his class is special and get their pictures in all dressed up clothes...for him, a suit and tie.

We got a paper informing us of all this...yesterday. Did he just get that piece of paper yesterday? No. How long has he had it? "A few days." ("A few days" is youngster speak for, "If I told you how long I had it you'd be really mad, so I'm trying to smooth this over without that happening.") How long has he known about picture day? "A while." ("A while" is longer than "A few days", but hopefully not long enough to make mom and dad mad.)

If it wasn't for the fact that we traveled to Pennsylvania this summer for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary and bought him a suit for that occasion, we'd really be up a creek. (Incidentaly, we also bought me a suit then. The last time I had ocasion to wear a suit was about 10 years ago when I interviewed for my current job. While I can probably still wear that jacket, the pants became fodder for everyday wear in the shirt and tie world, and have long been gone, so I was essentially as suit-less as the youngster.) As it is, we just have to make sure his suit is clean. Well, the pants could use some help, but they won't be in the picture. The jacket is OK because he didn't spend a lot of time in it at the anniversary thing, so.....we're cool.

We got by this time, but how long till the next drill like it? Will it be "a few days" or will it be "a while." Only one thing is certain. It's coming.

ps. Now I know I shouldn't complain. At least the younster said something and we got where we needed to be. Two boys in his class forgot all about it and showed up in normal school clothes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home