Tuesday, September 12, 2006

a morning in the 'all about me' world

It's been an ugly morning.

It started OK. Picked up all the school kids in the rolling video game and we headed out for school. About 5 minutes later we were in stopped traffic...and we sat..and we sat some more. Eventually we started moving...slowly. Obviously there was some kind of accident in front of us. The police cars occasionally went by in the grass alongside the road; their lights flashing and sirens wailing. I was in a car full of kids, growing more restless by the nanosecond. Stop and go.....stop and go a little more....as the normal time I drop them off went by.

C'mon people...clean it up and lets get this line moving...I got places to be.

Finally I see that the road's completely closed, and the cops are turning us all around the way we came...damn....must be a bad one...as the alternative routes to school are racing thru my head, and there isn't anything close to convenient...damn..again. I'm going to be so late for work. The kids are afraid they're going to be counted tardy, as the time school starts comes and goes, and we're still in the same line, now moving slowly away from the alleged accident scene, the kids are getting truck drivers to honk their horns by pumping their fists, which is starting to grate on my nerves...we need to get moving....finally a piece of open road...and I could hardly be accused of obeying any speed limit.

We finally got to school, about a half hour late (an hour after I normally drop them off). The principal was at the curb to meet us, telling the kids there was no need for checking in the office this morning....just go on to class. Others pull in behind us, late for the same reason....and I'm outa there. If the rolling video game had wings, I woulda been airborn. I was late for work, late for a meeting and shit, I needed to be there 5 minutes ago. Outa my way people. I got things to do. Thank God the cops are preoccupied with a wreck, because I'm a speeding ticket waiting to happen. Only then did I listen to the radio traffic reports...and hear about what we had to circumvent.

Three girls, on their way to high school, were broadsided by a semi as they pulled out of a driveway. The three girls are in critical condition at the hospital via life flight. Semi driver is fine. The three girls were graduates of the youngster's school. At one classroom for each grade, pre-K thru 8th, everybody knows everybody, and everybody knows the girls who were in the accident. All of a sudden, how late I am for work seems pretty insignificant....and I'm praying for 3 kids, whose morning makes mine look like a joyride.

ps. Early indications are the semi driver was traveling well under the posted speed limit, and the girls pulled out in front of him. The only reason I'm posting that is, I can see people automatically blaming the trucker, and it appears that wouldn't be at all fair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home