Wednesday, September 06, 2006

how early does it start, and where does it come from?

This morning in carpool, the kids asked to listen to a Top 40 radio station, and I relented, taking a break from the Yellow Submarine routine. Immediately, I have...rap. I don't know who it was, but I was giving in for 20 minutes, so I didn't care all that much. Let the kids have fun...to bad rhymes and bass lines.

Then it's.."c'mon Mr. Lumberyard...pump it up."

So I crank the volume a bit.

"More."

So now the bass is pounding and the rolling video game is vibrating a bit, and I'm thinking "Thank God school is only 10 more minutes away, because Excedrin Headache #392 is lurking."

"Now let's open the windows!"

There's the part I don't get. What is that all about? This is coming from a 9 year old and already that tendency is there.I mean, I made the conscious decision to give in and let them listen to this stuff, but nobody in the neighborhoods I'm passing, or in the adjacent cars, made that choice, and who am I to foist it upon them? What makes these youngsters think that just because they like this crap, the whole world should join in with them? Is it more that they want the rest of the world to hear what they're listening to, and in the process think they must be amazingly cool by association or osmosis?

"Oh WOW! He's listening to that rap crap. He must be the shit."

Or is it a sharing thing?

"This is such great crap, I, being the giving individual I am, must let everyone enjoy what I'm enjoying."

I mean...like what you like, and enjoy it, but where does the part come in that says I have to listen to it too, from three cars away, or at the same gas station as you?

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Oh, I crank lots of things..Steely Dan among them. I'm not saying I've never made the car vibrate with something other than rap.

What I don't do is intentionally make everyone else around me listen to what I'm listening to. If it's a beautiful day in the 60's or 70's and the windows are down, everyone around me could possibly hear some of what I'm listening to...but I'm not rolling the windows down just because I think what's blasting out of my speakers is awesome....because more often than not, if it's coming from CDs in my CD player..well, it is awesome. :)

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home