Monday, September 18, 2006

here we go, here we go...steelers

I am so sick of hearing that crap...every morning.

I do understand. Three of my car pool charges are from the Pittsburgh area. Their grandfather actually played for the Steelers. Their mom's a Browns fan, which I suppose keeps it interesting, but she's alone in a house full of black and gold.

I also understand their hatred of all things Jaguar. It was the Steelers, after all, who gave the Jaguars their first ever home win in the expansion year...an embarassment I witnessed first hand, and still bring up on occasion. This, my constant reminder that the Steelers aren't the greatest thing since the twinkie, which was the greatest thing before sliced bread came along, they consider an insult to their grandfather. (Twinkies and cockroaches, as you may know, are the two things that survived the asteroid collision that killed the dinosaurs. I heard it on NPR. It's gotta be true, man.) Last year they talked trash all week leading up to the Jagaurs/Steelers game...only to have Rasheen Mathis make them swallow crow. That just poured gas on the fire. A Jaguar win tonight would make it even worse..for them. For me, (besides the fact that it means we beat the Steelers...again) it means a quiet car. I wouldn't have to rub it in. In the silence...they would know. I don't know how, but it seems just about every year, even though we aren't in the same division anymore, we seem to play the Steelers, yet in 12 years we've played the Chargers maybe...twice?

So tonight I'm hopeful. I am more hopeful because the ESPN talking heads are picking againts us, but according to the radio folks, a lot of the so called "experts" are calling for a Jaguars win, and that's scary. I don't think much of the opinion of these supposed "experts". Still, the ESPN thing is a plus. Anytime you have Sean Salisbury picking against you, you gotta like your chances. The man's an idiot.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I know the Jaguars can win, but I know it's very far from in the bag. I also know the Steelers can win. Any given Monday, and all that. I'm just hoping that tomorrow morning it's me who's chanting...here we go, here we go...steelers....out the door, and back home. No, not really. If we should be so fortunate, I'll be the gracious adult and just smirk. The youngster, however...I may have to rein the boy in. If we lose; however, life on the way to school will suck...at least for the next few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home