Thursday, January 04, 2007

Is America ready for a black woman President?

I am so sick of the question "Is America ready for a black President?" or "Is America ready for a woman President?" Maybe I give us too much credit, but I don't really believe being black, white, purple, red, man, woman, or alien much matters. I think what matters is what's under that skin.

Years ago, when Jessie Jackson ran for President, everyone said he couldn't get elected because America wasn't ready for a black President. I think that's crap. I think America could very well have been ready for a black President....just not that black President. America wasn't and isn't ready for Jessie Jackson to be President because he's an media attention grabbing idiot. I don't care what color he is. He's a veritable rainbow of idiocy. The fact that he's a black media attention grabbing idiot really doesn't change the equation any. If Colin Powell ran, however, I would give him serious consideration. I wouldn't vote for Teddy Kennedy for dog catcher, but that doesn't mean I'm not ready for a white, male animal control officer.

Now people are asking the same kinds of questions because Hillary and Obama are big Democratic possibilities for a run at the Presidency. Hillary will run, but is America ready for a woman President? I don't think the woman part has anything to do with it. The bigger question is, is America ready for Hillary to be President, and that's a huge question. We have survived some bad Presidents, but Hillary....yeah, she'd push that envelope, or at least I think so (and let's face it, in the lumberyard, it's all about me). Even if she won, and we survived her Presidency, I don't know if we've answered the question of, is America ready for a woman President. I'm not sure she qualifies. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a woman I would vote for, but Hillary, and Nancy Pelosi, for that matter, fall somewhere between Katie Couric and Britney Spears in my "no freakin' way" hierarchy. If one surfaces as a possible candidate though, I'll be sure to let you know. As for Obama, I honestly don't know enough about him to comment...yet. I will though, if he starts looking like a serious candidate. When I do, his skin color won't matter in the least. His views and his vision for this country will be what decides whether or not I'm ready for him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home