Tuesday, March 06, 2007

an MS150 update

I sent an e-mail to the one guy who said he'd do this with me to tell him I was going on a trial run Saturday morning. I basically said 7:00, 15 miles from First Street to Last Street and back. Ready?

He informed me that a) he can't do the actual ride because after checking his calendar, he will be out of the country then. He and his wife are going to Italy. b) he still wants to train with me. c) 7:00 is much to early though, how about 8:00? d) 15 miles is a bit ambitious to start, how about we try something a little shorter?

I figured 8:00 is fine, and since I really didn't know what I was saying when I said 15 miles...sure, we can do something less. I mean, I measured out 15 miles, but I didn't really know what it'd feel like.

So, Saturday morning, we rode. We did his little course, which measured about 3 miles, but both wanted to go more, so we did a fair portion of what I had mapped out, and then did a few laps around the neighborhood. Altogether, we rode for a little over an hour, so I figure somewhere over 10 miles. When we finished, I wasn't even winded. I think I could have done it all again pretty easily. I definitely know now, the stationary bike thing in the gym is far more difficult than a real bike, especially if you program it for more resistence than I'll ever feel on the road here....I mean, Northeast Florida is flat. The highest point in J'ville is a speed bump at the mall. After that though, I have no qualms about trying 20 miles.

I learned I need a helmet. I knew I had to have one for the real ride, and I had one. It's a rollerblading helmet that I figured would make due. Well, it's not comfortable for an hour. It has velcro places to put extra pads in, but I don't need extra pads in the front, so there's a piece of cloth covering the plastic velcro place there. That piece of cloth felt non-existent, as the plastic velcro stuff started digging into my forehead. I knew 10 minutes in that wouldn't cut it.

So I went to a bike shop and just told the guy, I'm planning to ride in the MS150, I have a Trek road bike I bought in 1984 that's in good shape, but I have nothing else. What do I need?

I think I actually saw the dollar signs light up in his eyes. He had me all geared up and suggested everything under the sun. I got a new seat - one with some ass padding. I got a helmet - a comfy one but middle of the road, pricewise. I got some gloves and some bike shorts, with ass padding. I've already figured out you can't have too much ass padding, no matter how much you come by naturally (especially since the harder I work at this, the less of that I hope to have). I passed on the mounts for 3 extra water bottles, and the accompanying water bottles, the bike rider shirt, bike rider shoes and the new $1,600 bike with the carbon fiber something-or-other frame that weighs 17 pounds. The old bike will get me there and back.

So far nobody who I thought might do this with me from the neighborhood is pulling through. The one person who was enthusiastic is the guy I rode with Saturday but won't be here. The other guy, whose wife volunteered him and has done this sort of thing before quite a while ago, has a mountain bike, and doesn't want to try it on that. He's not about to buy a new bike just to follow my dream, and I don't blame him.

So that's where we stand, though we aren't standing for long. We're moving forward.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home