Monday, June 18, 2007

the weekend in review

Saturday morning - 48.12 miles. I considered a few laps around the neighborhood to make it an even 50, but decided that can wait until next time...which will be in 2 weeks. Next week the MS Bike Ride people are having a "kickoff" practice ride, with support vehicles and rest stops and whatever else they have at the real thing. I'm going to do that, because it'll give me a feel for what it'll be like in September, but it's only 25-30 miles. (I'm having a hard time with the fact that I just said that. Back in December, if someone would have told me I used the word "only" in conjunction with a 25 to 30 mile bike ride I would have told them they were insane.) I might just have to make it longer on my own, but we'll see. I also have to take the bike back to the shop after that, because it'll be a month old. They told me to bring it back after a month so they can adjust cables and stuff after I ride it a bit...so I will. They also want me to bring it around when their real bike fitter is in the house for minor tweaking, so I'll call and see when that is. I hope he's there sometime Saturday.

The U.S. Open - I don't get why people are surprised when some unheralded guy wins that thing. This year it's Angel Cabrerra. Last year it was Geoff Ogilvie. Three years ago it was Michael Campbell. The USGA turns it from a test of golf into a run of good luck. It's not golf. It's a crap shoot. He who gets lucky the most times on the greens (because hitting those holes ain't skill) wins. It's as simple as that. People want to know why Tiger can't win from behind. It isn't because he isn't the better golfer. As much as I dislike the guy, I have to admit he is the better golfer, and he was yesterday as well. He just wasn't the luckier golfer.

The Jaguars are rumored to be interested in the services of one Dante Culpepper as a backup to Byron Leftwich. I'm on the fence with that move. I used to think David Garrard could lead this team, given the chance. Well, he had his chance last year and fell flat on his face. Yes, given time to learn not to try to do everything himself, he could get better, but I don't want to hear anything about how he's ready to be the starter. He's not. He's a good backup though, and with him, we know what we have. With Culpepper, I'm not so sure. I'm not ready to throw Byron Leftwich out as a starter either, but if he falters, maybe having Culpepper in the wings isn't so bad...if he can be the player he was a few years ago. There's just a lot of uncertainty in the whole situation...but I guess we'll see.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home