Monday, June 11, 2007

the weekend in review

The weekend started off with a bang...of sorts. The sky was clear Friday evening and at 7:38 we watched the space shuttle streak into the sky. That never gets old.

Then I went to the gym and worked a bit. Got up Saturday morning and did a little over 45 miles on the bike. I'm getting more and more confident that this MS150 thing in September won't be all that bad. It's going to be hard. I know that. I'm finally believing myself when I say I'll be ready for it though. The MS Society is having a kickoff training ride in two weeks...between 25 and 30 miles. Piece o' cake. They sent out an e-mail, calling it a "free" training ride, which made me chuckle. So, the ones I'm doing on my own aren't free? When I read it though, it made more sense. They're going to have support vehicles and stuff there, making it look and feel like the real thing...I guess to give newbies like me an idea of what the real ride will be like. That stuff comes at a price.

Yesterday was...hot. The thermometer read 98° on the back porch in the shade. I noticed the water was running in the downstairs toilet and was looking at it when the youngster asked what I was looking at.

"The toilet's leaking water. We're wasting water."

"Oh, mine does that too."

Wonderful. This, for me, is a major ordeal. Admittedly, it also points to one of my major flaws. I'm not Mr. Fix It. I believe there's a reason God created plumbers, and that's for me to pay them to take care of plumbing stuff. Same with electricians, and whatever else I don't know jack about, and don't have the time (and frankly, the inclination too) to learn. Still, I can do this and it needs to be done now...we're wasting water...and after replacing floors and buying a bike and seeing the youngster's tuition...yeah...so I went to Home Depot and bought the guts for two toilets and replaced them...no more leaking.

Then I went and hit golf balls in the heat. I need the practice and it went well, but I came home drenched...so I hit the shower before grilling burgers for dinner...and doing a quiet evening at home. We're just so Norman Rockwell.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home