Thursday, July 05, 2007

slacker boy

OK, I slacked a bit. I told myself on Tuesday (in one of the many conversations I have with myself) that since Wednesday was a holiday, I'd go bike riding in the morning instead of going to the gym. That was shortly after I indulged with, not one, but two krispy kreme donuts Tuesday morning. Someone delivered several boxes of them to the break room. In a moment of weakness, I dove in. The weather man Tuesday night wasn't all that encouraging. It had been raining, and he said it should let up by...Wednesday afternoon. Still, I set the alarm to get up early and thought...we'll see. It was the same weatherman who once said there was zero chance of rain on a Sunday when the Jaguars played at home. There was a torrential downpour that sent us home, sopping wet, at halftime.

The alarm went off Wednesday morning, and it was about all I could do to drag myself out of bed, fully expecting to see the day wasn't one for riding. But when I looked, it didn't seem too bad. I didn't know if I should be happy to go riding, or disappointed because I wasn't dragging my butt back to bed. The roads were damp (like it had rained several hours earlier), but not overly wet. I decided to go for it.

I only went 50.34 miles though, averaging 16.6 miles an hour...not quite as far, or as fast as Saturday. There was no rain, but the wind was a killer, and it was in my face the last half of the ride, so I was a bit slower. Downwind, downhill at one point though, it gave me a new lumberyard bicycle land speed record - 27.5 mph.

Doing that made me wonder about the comments made by bike fitter dude, when he was giving me tips on riding in groups. He supposedly rides in a group that does an average of 30 mph. Right now, that's incomprehensible to me. With or without the wind, you still have to pedal that fast, and even at a few miles an hour shy of 30, I wasn't going to do it for very long.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home