Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tour de Dopes

What's happening to my sports world?

We can start with the Tour de France, the premier event of my newfound hobby. Why is it every guy who takes the lead, or does something spectacular in that race, has to cheat to do it? The latest is Alexandre Vinokourov, whose cheating caused his entire team to bow out of the race. The guy winning the race is under suspicion of cheating. The winner for about the last 8 years has been either proven or rumored to be cheating. I'm beginning to think all I'd have to do is show up and finish, and if I was clean, it'd be my race. The lunacy doesn't stop here though.

Next we can go to the National Betting Association, otherwise known as the NBA. Tim Donaghy, referee for said Association has apparently been betting on games, and possibly games he refereed. There are hints he got himself deep in gambling debt and may have been told to influence games by some real life Tony Soprano. The commissioner, David Stern, calls it an isolated incident. How the hell does he know? Two months ago, if asked, he'd have told you there was no way a ref was betting on any NBA games. On top of that, while watching ESPN last night on the treadmill, I learned our troubled referee wasn't a gambing wreck fron Georgia Tech. The guy played college baseball....at none other than my little alma mater in Main Line Philly. Thank you for casting a shadow on that institution, Timmy. Still, the fun doesn't stop.

Baseball's in its own rhoid rage. 'Nuf said.

Last but certainly not least, there's Ron Mexico. I think I've waxed snarky enough on his case already, but I'll bet he's glad the other dopes came along, to take a little of the spotlight off him.

Some are calling the whole thing a soccer conspiracy, thinking if soccer can find a way to discredit every other sport, maybe Americans will finally pay attention to it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home