Tuesday, November 20, 2007

of all the things

I'm not a real emotional guy. I don't cry much...well almost ever. I give the wife grief when we watch some movie, or something on TV that pulls on heartstrings and she gets all teary eyed, but just in jest.

That's why this caught me off guard.

I was at the Jaguar game Sunday, basking in the domination over the San Diego Chargers when halftime came along. They had a military tribute, asking all the veterans to stand...so I did, along with thousands of others. Then they had an enlistment ceremony at midfield, where 150 young people were sworn in to the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard. So far so good. Then they trotted out Phil Stacey, American Idol contestant and local sailor boy who sang Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American" and the folks in the north end zone held up colored cardboard squares that made up an American flag, my eyes welled up and I was wiping tears off my cheeks. I was overcome by the whole thing...and I don't even like the song all that much. I mean, it's OK and all, but in that setting, it all just hit me..my pride in what I did in my past, my love for this country and what it means to be free, and the sacrifice many have made to keep it that way, some of whom were very good friends. I just never expected to cry over it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

I cried when the veterans stood up in church last weekend and everyone applauded. It's just an emotional subjuct for most people right now. Those were good tears, by far.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home