Tuesday, November 13, 2007

running hot and cold

A man is showing a long cylindrical thing to a blonde and she asks, "What is it?"
"This, my dear, is a thermos?"
"What do you do with it?"
"If you put a hot drink in it, it keeps it hot. If you put a cold drink in it, it keeps it cold."
"Ooooohhhhh. Well, how does it know which one to do?"

So I was pondering what to do about my cycling in cold weather quandary. I don't want to get a bunch of cold weather bike clothes, but I want to cycle through winter. I was discussing it with one of my coworkers who is very into Star Wars. This person has one of those storm trooper outfits and wears it in parades, and wears stuff underneath to stay cool, or warm, depending on the weather. Whatever floats your boat.

So I asked for advice and I got, "Go get some Under Armour. They have this stuff that's great. They have heat gear and cold gear, so you can get whatever you need, but the stuff works."

So I asked, "OK, so....do I want the heat gear to stay warm, or do I want the cold gear because it's cold outside?"

I got a blank stare, but I suppose if you have heat gear and cold gear, it knows which one to do, even if I don't know which one it's doing.

Turns out I wanted the cold gear because it's cold outside. I went to my local Sports Authority store and bought this shirt to wear cycling. I'm here to tell you, the sucker works (but doesn't look near as good on me as it does the invisible mannequin). It was 50 bucks, but it's worth it. I only bought one, because I didn't know what I was getting into, and because it was 50 bucks. I think I'll be buying at least one more though, so I'm not doing laundry every time I ride my bike. It's still cheaper than most of the cycling specific stuff out there. Back to the point though, I wore the thing under my jersey Saturday morning. The only reason I put the jersey over it was because I needed the pockets to keep my ID and cell phone with me....oh, and to look cool. It was chilly and windy, and I wasn't bothered a bit. I didn't feel cold or sweaty, and didn't even notice I had been sweating until I took the thing off, and it was wet on the outside. That shirt has the lumberyard seal of approval.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home