Friday, November 09, 2007

why did I waste my time?

Every year at work we have this "health fair." It's one day where out health care provider and several vendors come and set this stuff up to make us all more health conscious. I usually go and spend about half an hour there. I get my cholesterol and blood pressure checked, and a flu shot. Overall, good stuff.

So this year we get a health assessment questionnaire from said health care provider. It's an online questionnaire thing, to take in preparation for the health fair. I think you get 5 minutes with a counselor at the thing to help you figure out how to be healthier. Going in I'm thinking...I got this puppy nailed. I've been exercising a lot this year. My weight's down. I rock. So I took the thing and....

It correctly said I need to watch what I eat. Admittedly, I'm a chocoholic. I blame part of that on growing up far too close to Hershey, Pa., but the brunt of the blame falls squarely on me. I'm the one who willfully puts the chocolate in my mouth. The next part floored me though. It said, "Do you have any time to get in some exercise?" I thought, you gotta be kidding me. I exercise at least 3 times a week, for well over an hour each time...sometimes biking for 2 to 3 hours at a clip, and you ask if I have any time to exercise? Then I thought...where in the assessment did you ask if/how much I exercise, and the answer was...nowhere. It asked what kinds of activities I enjoy, and I said cycling, walking and golf, but nowhere did it ask how much time I spend engaged in those activities.

Nice assessment of my health.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home