Thursday, November 08, 2007

the day off

Yesterday the youngster had half a day at school, so the wife and I took a vacation day. She was helping a friend get to the doctor in the morning, and I went bike riding, in what was probably the coldest weather I've done that in yet. OK, all you folks up north, it wasn't that cold, but it was 50°, and in those bike shorts and a paper thin jersey, it's a bit chilly. After I got going though, the cold wasn't bothering me too much. The wind, however, was a killer. It was kickin' out of the north, and pedaling into it was brutal, but I did 50 miles, came home and showered just in time to go to lunch with the wife and pick the youngster up at the bus stop.

This morning, however, it is cold...or what we consider cold, especially for November. It was about 42° when the youngster and I got in the car this morning, and I actually had to pull out a jacket. Yes, January will see us dip below freezing, so it will get worse, but this is our first wake up call announcing the time to put the shorts away and dig out the jeans.

Now that I've turned into one of those people who ride bikes, I'll have to figure out what they do in the winter. I don't want to invest a bunch of money in cold weather cycling clothes. I mean...I live in Florida and winter lasts two months, maybe, and I'm not even talking winter with snow involved. Maybe I just hang it up and spend more time in the gym. All I know is, I lost a fair amount of weight since I started doing this, and I don't want to put that back on...and...I got myself in decent shape in the process, and I don't want to sink back into couch-potato-hood (yes, I know that isn't anything close to a word, but you get the idea). I put too much effort into getting where I am to fall off the wagon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

You've invested all this time and energy getting yourself in shape, doing something you really enjoy, and it's something you plan to continue. Why not spend some -- in the long run -- small amount of money on the proper clothes so that you continue to do this thing you love in this colder weather, so that you can take care of your body, your mind, and your soul? Just sounds to me like a big excuse not to spend a few bucks for the greater good.

--Jessie, who lives in couch-potato-hood, but doesn't have ANY trouble shopping.

9:41 AM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah, I guess I'm being penny wise and dollar foolish. I just have a hard time swallowing $120 for a pair of bike pants. I'd like to find them on sale somewhere, but I guess this time of year, that ship has sailed. I'd have to wait...until I, like everyone else, don't need them anymore for the year. Maybe that's what I'll get Santa to bring me, if I'm good enough.

2:35 PM  
Blogger JessieE said...

There's always eBay.

2:50 PM  
Blogger John said...

ahhh eBay. That's like the lumberyard black hole - I just get sucked in. I hit that URL and nobody sees me for days. The next thing I know, the mailman is delivering a veg-o-matic because I let my competitive side take control and I didn't want to lose something I really didn't want in the first place.

That place is scary. Maybe if I go in, bid on what I want and get out.

Must

have

discipline!

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home