Monday, October 29, 2007

the weekend in review

Congrats to the Red Sox, and all you who are Sox fans. I think Papelbon should have been the MVP, but that's splitting hairs and wanting good stuff for the home grown boy from Bishop Kenny High School. I wanted to see more fight out of the Rockies, but you get what you get....it's over already.

A-Rod says he doesn't want to be a Yankee anymore. I guess that's bringing class balance to the force or something. The Yankees insulted Joe Torre, so he'd leave. That left the Yankees a bit more classless. To balance that, A-Rod leaves, bringing the total class quotient of the organization up a few notches. Now Mrs. A-Rod can sport her "Fuck You!" t-shirts in another venue, and at the after-parties in another town's gentleman's clubs in her husband's company. I guess this is what happens when $72 million isn't quite enough to feed your ego. In his defense, Yankee fans never appreciated A-Rod, so I can see him wanting to thumb his nose at the whole town...and he can.

The Dolphins and Giants played a sloppy game for the folks in England, in the first regular season game played across the pond. Looking at yesterday's slate though, weren't most of them sloppy? I mean, If you weren't watching New England or Indy play, you weren't exactly getting a highlight reel. It's what the NFL is being reduced to this year...two really good teams and the rest of us. People want to say what those people in Wembly saw wasn't really representative of the NFL. I'll contend, yeah it is. That ugly game is becoming the rule instead of the exception.

The Jaguars won a mess of a game in Tampa for state bragging rights. No Dolphins, you don't count. The thing is, being the best football team in Florida right now really isn't saying a whole lot. At least Matt Jones finally caught a touchdown pass. He vowed at the beginning of the season not to shave his beard until he did. That thing was starting to have a Rip van Winkle quality to it.

I came away from church yesterday being humbled. The message for the week was about how we tend to tout ourselves for doing good stuff, and feel like we're better than someone else. I was immediately brought back to the 'greedy bastard' post from Friday, and the motivation behind it. Guilty as charged. I want my total money raised for that bike ride to be bigger than it is now, and really, it's for no purpose than to make me look better in the list of people raising money for that cause...to push me a little higher in stature. I doubt anyone would notice really, except me, anyway. (Then again as we all know, it is all about me.) It's not like there's a published list anywhere, except for the top 5, and they're so far above me it doesn't matter (#5 on that list raised over $7,500). The cause will eventually get its money, whether I get the credit or not. I should be happy with that. I will be happy with that.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home