Tuesday, October 16, 2007

when you turn your car on...

Some commercial slogans just catch on and resonate, and they end up on t-shirts and shit. Some don't. I'm not sure why.

I was watching TV a few weeks ago, and there was this Cadillac commercial, and it used the line, "When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?" At the time, I thought, that's pretty clever. Nice job, whoever thought that one up. I saw it a few more times and thought the same. A few days ago, I heard it on the radio...from some announcer that put no feeling into it whatsoever...just read it off some card, and it lost everything. All of a sudden, it just sounded cheap and used and....time to retire. Maybe that's what did it, and is the reason (epiphany comes while I type) I feel this way. Maybe it was that one announcer that sucked the staying power right out of it. Maybe that kind of slogan has to come with a little bit of acting like you mean it. Now, whenever I see/hear it, it's like "enough already" and it's a fairly new and clever ad campaign. The magic and longevity of "Where's the Beef?" is nowhere ot be found. All that money and cleverness invested, and at least for me, it's time to move on.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home