Friday, October 05, 2007

the king is dead, long live the king

OK, so we finished the MS Bike Ride, peadaling 181 miles in nasty weather. What do we do now? Do we go to Disneyworld? NO!

We start training for next year's MS Bike Ride. I left work early yesterday to go to the bike shop before it closed because 1) my bike was ready and 2) the youngster's new bike was in and he needed to be fitted for it. I got there about when the wife and youngster did. He went in and they adjusted the seat and handlebars for him. He rode it around the parking lot and we were done. I put mine and his in the back of the rolling video game, took them home and we went out to eat, since the wife had no food preperation time.

It was sprinkling (it's rained for a week here), but as soon as we got home, he wanted to ride. He stood outside until it stopped raining, came in and announced the fact and begged to go out and get used to the bike. So we did. He and I rode around the neighborhood. We did part of the golf course on the cart path first. Then he wanted to get out on the road...out of the neighborhood, but I vetoed that. It was getting dark. We could get in a lap around the neighborhood, but that was about it. He really did need to get used to the bike, and how you sit on a road bike. He spent a bit of time going through the gears, and getting used to the brakes, dropping his hands in the bottom of the handlebars and shifting/braking from there. Then when he had it pretty much figured out, he kicked it up to 24 miles an hour and left me in the dust...or what dust there would have been if the roads weren't wet. I caught him, but it took a minute, and he had this huge grin on his face.

"I really like this."

"Yeah, I thought you might."

I think we're getting very close to the time where the youngster starts doing some things better than his dad, and this is first of those things. I can see it coming.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home