Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Matt Jones

God, it pains me to say this.

I watched incredulously when the Jaguars made Matt Jones their first pick in the 2005 draft. I sat there and said...why?? Then I saw him in his first preseason, and saw why. The guy made incredible plays. He was tall and fast, and it was like a highlight reel when he touched the ball. I was impressed. I got so impressed I went out and bought the #18 jersey, and wore it with pride. Hope was springing eternal.

Then came the first season. There were a few wrinkles thrown in the offense to take advantage of his passing, as well as receiving capability, and I thought I saw the future unfolding. This guy was gonna be a real difference maker. Hope was a limitless shooting star.

Then the weaknesses started to appear. The guy didn't go over the middle much. It looked like he was afraid of getting hit. If a cornerback challenged him, he'd back off. Hope was showing a few signs of a tarnish.

Now we're in his third year and the weakness is glaring. The speed only shows up if he can run a straight line and nobody touches him. Yeah, like that happens in the NFL. He doesn't like to get hit. He doesn't seem to get upset when his performance is less than what situations call for. He doesn't seem to care much. Asked in a post game press conference about his performance, coach Del Rio said he was disappointed...and rightly so. He should be. They both should be, but only one seems to be. Hope is being trampled into the dirt, and showing no signs of fighting back.

Jones' agent spoke about the comments. He said he'd like to see his client go someplace else...someplace where he can play...someplace where he'd be appreciated. Where? Where is there a better opportunity? Is there any team in the league more starved for a star reciever than the Jaguars? Is there any place more willing to give anybody a chance to rise up and be the go-to guy? Is there any team with a more mediocre group playing wide reciever, where it would be easier for a guy to stand out if he was just waiting on a chance to show greatness? There's no better place where a guy with the ability to get separation, could...well...get separation. This is his perfect situation...a place to be da man, if that damn skirt wasn't in the way. If you can't stand out in the group you're in now, where will you?

God, it pains me to say it, but Matt Jones is a wuss....and I own his jersey. I'm ready to start using it to clean my bike.

One Two Three Four...you're still stuck in my head....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home