Thursday, October 04, 2007

on the road in the MS Bike Ride



Yeah, it was only 30 miles into the ride. It was into the wind, but it hadn't started raining yet, so I was still a happy camper. I wasn't smiling so much 70 miles later.

A friend figured out how to get around the watermark on the proofs and get me this small version of the picture. I don't feel bad about swiping it, because I will purchase the .jpg file of this, and one other picture the guy took.

I will whine a little though about his pricing. He wants $23 for a link to download this .jpg file. They took a team photo. He wants $70 to provide a link to download that. OK, a 5x7 print is cheaper, and I don't want to sound overly cheap, but damn. I know he gives his profits to the MS Society, and while that's commendable, am I the only one who thinks that's just a tad excessive? I mean, you have these people who have been training all summer, committed a weekend to do this ride, more than likely contributed a fair amount of their own money to the cause already, and probably were involved in a few other fund raising initiatives that support the cause. So the thought becomes, take these people for $70 to get a team picture in a digital format? Thank you very much.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Painter Lady said...

Being in the photography business, I agree that the prices are pricey!

Dad's point would be that the photographer is selling the 'file' and thus will lose on any enlargement or other orders s/he might have made. That's why Dad sells his wedding CD's for $100 a piece. Dad's given proceeds to a charity before and I noticed he added an extra fee to his 'cost' so that he did get some profit from it.

But I disagree, when a person donates the proceeds to a charity, that person shouldn't put their thumb on the scale when figuring the costs. Just to be able to put a few bucks in their pocket.

12:36 PM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah, if he was giving me a CD with lots o' pictures of me, $100 doesn't seem bad. I added up 3 pictures and came to $120. I will buy 2 of them, because I really want them. Those will get me to $50, all by their lonesome.

I don't want the guy to starve either. I have no problem with him making something on the deal. I just think $70 for one picture is.....much.

3:19 PM  
Blogger John said...

One more thing and I'll quit whining. I found a total of 6 pictures I really want..OK, 7, but I can't afford the team picture. $70 for one shot is too steep, especially after the other 6. If this wasn't the first time I did this, and I didn't work so hard to do it, I might just say 'fuck it,' but it wasn't, and I want those 6 pictures to frame with the medal and patch in something I'll hang in my office. Total cost of the 6 pictures - $137.70...for 6 freaking .jpg files. Yeah, I'm feeling a bit gouged. True, I don't have to pay that. I could tell the guy to stick it. I just feel like I'm over a barrel, because I want the pictures that bad.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home